Saturday, February 1, 2014

3D Shapes Galore

One of my favorite things to teach in math is 3-dimensional shapes. Please tell me I'm not alone! :)

We do all sorts of things with 3D shapes but below are a few of my favorite things:
1. Build & Learn Geometry Kit - It's only $20 but my kids love it. I let them build different 3D shapes in small groups. This is also great for differentiation because if you have students who aren't quite ready for 3D shapes, they can build 2D shapes instead!
2. For our snack math day - we build 3D shapes out of pretzel sticks & marshmallows.
3. Rock out to Harry Kindergarten 3D shapes song.
4. 3D shape search with post it's! 

Number 4 on that list is my absolute favorite. It is simple with no prep work and the kids love taking control of their own learning. Here's how it goes:
I typically set a timer for about 2 minutes and have the students wander the room checking all around for 3D shapes. After 2 minutes, they grab a post it and a pencil. They have an additional 2-3 minutes to draw/write their object. Once the timer goes off, students gather on the carpet to share. The smart board already has the file up and ready for sticky notes! Each student goes to the front, shares what they found, states what 3D shape it is, and sticks the note under the correct 3D shape picture.



Click here for the smart board freebie file.

I find this is a great exercise for not just learning 3D shapes, but also public speaking (a common core bonus)!



No comments:

Post a Comment