Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Grandfriends' (Grandparents') Day

So how many of y'all have a Grandparents' or Grandfriends' Day at your school? My school in St. Louis did not have that, so when I moved to Dallas and learned my new school would have one, I'm not going to lie--I was a leetle bit nervous my first year.
Since then, I've come to enjoy this special morning for my kindergartners. So, if you want a stress-free Grandfriends' Day, here's my method:

1-Write letters to grandparents about a month before, inviting them to the special day. I have a form letter with space for the students to draw a picture of their grandma or grandpa (or other special friend!). Then students address the letter, writing "Dear _____" and sign it with their name. I already have our school address and a little message typed about when the date is and that we hope the grandfriend will write a letter back to us at school AND include a drawing of himself or herself! Then I send these letters home with my students, along with a note to mom and dad that they are responsible for mailing the letters to the grandfriends.



2-Wait eagerly by your school's mailbox! Seriously. We LOVE getting mail! Check out a few of the cute letters we have received so far this year.


3-Celebrate Grandfriends' Day! I do this in the MOST laid-back way possible. I tell the students that THEY are in charge! THEY need to show their grandfriend around the classroom. THEY need to get out their book pockets and read to the grandfriend. THEY need to get out their writing folders and read their writing to their grandfriend. THEY need to get out their math journals and show off their awesome thinking!

4-Now, because some students will whip through all of that in 2.5 minutes, I do have a backup activity. Students can make a great little book with their grandfriend. Check out a couple pictures below and then head to our TPT store to snag your own copy!
 

5-Put your feet up and relax when you make it home after a busy, busy Grandfriends Day!!



No comments:

Post a Comment